Monday, December 24, 2007

Devon's Favorite Christmas Movies!

I thought I'd do a little piece to show of some of my all time favorite Christmas flicks. I've said to many people that in my life there are two movies that equal Christmas to me. Most people will say A Christmas Story is it for them, but since I didn't even see that until I was in my teenage years, I have to go with the two movies we watched over and over as kids in my household. Home Alone and Home Alone 2! The antics of Kevin McAllister centered around the backdrop of Christmas brought a lot of joy to me and my cousins as kids, and so those two movies will always be the quintessential holiday films to
me.

Vacation! Christmas Vacation Of course once I was a little bit older, I was "old enough" to watch the next movie on my list of great Christmas films. That movie is none other than National Lampoon's Christmas has become a ritual in my family. We always celebrate together on Christmas Eve, and the night always ends with everyone sitting around in the living room watching Christmas Vacation, stuffed on good food, and drunk off egg nog. Chevy Chase is the best in this movie, as he returns to his role of Clark Griswold. Everyone remembers the classic squirrel in the tree bit.

Up next is the Christmas ritual movie, that D Money wrote about the other day, it's a big time ritual in his house, and now that I'm a little bit older, I've tried to make sure and watch it once a year. Of course I'm talking about A Christmas Story! I laugh my ass off everytime when Ralphie's eating with his mom and brother, and the little one starts laughing and snorting. Of course we can't forget about the infamous ass-whooping the local bully gets, or the classic pink bunny suit. Too many good moments in that movie to even list! My roommate even has several scenes tattooed around one his legs.

On the campy side of things, there is the "hit holiday classic" Jingle All the Way! What the hell was Schwarzenegger's agent thinking when he booked that flick? As if Arnold wasn't bad enough, someone decided to throw Sinbad in to the mix! That guy was never funny in my opinion. Despite all that, the movie's still pretty funny, and has a good message, hidden somewhere in there beneath all the materialism. The kid in the movie you might recognize as a young Anakin Skywalker. The best part of the movie is Phil Hartman as the smarmy wife-coveting neighbor. I did love me some Phil Hartman.

As an adult, the next movie has quickly become a favorite, because as we all know, I do love the chick flicks, and on top of that, I love british comedy. So naturally, Love Actually quickly became not just one of my favorite movies ever, but definitely a favorite Holiday film. An ensemble cast starring great names like Alan Rickman, Colin Firth, Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Liam Neeson, and Laura Linney shine, as they tell the story of how important a role love plays during the Holidays. And if you like this one, check out the flick from last year The Holiday, starring Cameron Diaz and Jude Law, with Jack Black and Kate Winslet. It's equally as delightful.

Well that's it, there's a short rundown of some of my favorite Christmas flicks! If you have some of your own you'd like to tell us about, and don't see them here, then go leave a message in the comments section! I also want to wish all our readers a Merry Christmas!!

2 comments:

  1. "Up next is the Christmas ritual movie, that Random Villain wrote about the other day, it's a big time ritual in his house, and now that I'm a little bit older, I've tried to make sure and watch it once a year. Of course I'm talking about A Christmas Story!"

    ::Smacks self on forehead, and slowly shakes head in disbelief at the idiotness::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fixed, and it's really not that big of a deal...

    ReplyDelete