Sunday, July 22, 2007

My New Favorite Show, Friday: the Animated Series!?

OK, i felt compelled to write a blog about a T.V. show i stumbled across last night that took me by surprise. After all, how could I not know that one of my favorite all time movies had an animated series coming out? Well, I'm not sure how or why I didn't know, but as soon as i saw that Friday was on MTV last night, followed my Friday: the Animated Series, I had to check it out, and I was pleasantly surprised! See, when I heard that Friday had a sequel coming out called Next Friday, I thought AWESOME, can't beat an all time favorite coming out with a sequel. Well, when it came out, it fell victim to a problem many sequels do, which was keeping about 3 of the original characters, 2 of which were in the movie for a few minutes at best. So Craig remained the main character, but was surrounded by goofy overdone characters, and forced comedy (in my opinion). THEN we hear Friday After Next was coming out. HEY maybe a Smokie return? A return to Craigs original house? NOPE. We get Craigs mom returning, and his dad once again, and even a couple of characters from the last movie, but eh, more forced comedy, trying too hard to be funny, overdone, etc. etc. The 2 sequels were nothing like the original, the natural humor and great characters just weren't there.

So now, I turn on this new animated show, and WOW, what do I see? The characters! Craig, Smokey, Craigs parents and sister, Debo, Debbie, Stanley, almost ALL of them. This show scored right away with me in the character department. Then, we kick things off on Craigs porch! The legendary spot that had me wanting to grow up and chill on my front porch all day watchin all the happenings of the neighborhood. The stories here also have the Friday feel to them, stuff you'd see in the original movie, with some current events thrown in to keep things current. I almost felt like i was watching a mixture of Friday with a black Beavis and Butthead. The voice actors attempt to pull off the same voices from the characters in the movie, and they met my standard, didn't do a bad job at all. The humor is done well, although of course smoking weed and F-bombs can't be allowed being its on MTV, I'll gladly trade those in exchange for the show sticking with the original Friday story as it is. Overall, this show grabbed me and kept me interested, especially since I'm a huge fan of the first movie but not the sequels. Maybe being that Ice Cube is an executive producer on this one, he was able to do things right, using all the characters this time without having to worry about huge money demands etc.

I'm really hoping this show is a permanent thing, i caught it very late at night, and had'nt heard one word about it until i saw it on the guide, but hopefully it catches on, as it could really do something I think and outdo a lot of the animated crap comedy that's out there today. You can judge for yourselves, as I've provided video below, but for some reason, my attention was grabbed, and this show is def. on my list of favorites. I give this one 2 thumbs WAY up, and you KNOW this.....MAN!






2 comments:

  1. I remember when I first saw Friday I called my friend Craig over so we could chill on my porch and see whats going on in the world....

    well, nothing was going on. Boring ass neighborhood.

    But agree, the sequels blew, i didnt even bother watching the third, but this animated show could do something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone else seen this show? If so, what are your opinions? I really liked it myself! But haven't heard much else on it, and haven't caught it on again.

    ReplyDelete