Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Top 5 Funniest Movies Of All Time Countdown: #3

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get back to this. But blame this movie. #2 and #1 are already planned, but I had no idea what deserved the #3 spot. So in that case, here are a couple honorable mentions....

Shot In The Dark
The Jerk
Ghostbusters
Caddyshack
Animal House
Top Secret
Naked Gun

All, great, great comedies, but there was just one that I always watched just a bit more than those that still gives me a few laughs.


Monty Python And The Holy Grail

As a kid on PBS they would sometimes show Flying Circus after Mr. Bean. And I would laugh my ass off and none of my friends could ever understand why, of course now that they are all older they understand, I guess I just understood shit better back then. I think it also had to do with the fact that I loved You Can't Do That On Television, and Flying Circus reminded me of that show somewhat.

There are many Monty Python movies but this one is by far the best of them all. And it was a hard choice to not put this any higher than #3, since many do consider this to be the funniest movie of all time and the greatest comedy ever made. But, on my list, it will rest at 3 and it will probably stay there for many years to come.


Monty Python And The Holy Grail - Click here for this week’s top video clips

Interesting Holy Grail Tidbits:

In the original draft of the script, Arthur and his knights end up finding the Holy Grail at Harrods, a famous London department store.

Sir-Not-Appearing-In-This-Film is Michael Palin's infant son Tom.

Throughout the movie, the knights galloped--with their "bearers" clapping coconut halves together to simulate the noises of the horses' hooves--to pretend they were on horses. This was not, however, part of the original concept. Before filming began the budget was cut, and there was no money for renting horses.

Terry Gilliam was supposed to direct the film, but during filming he became exasperated with the actors, and they with him. At one point he gave up directing altogether and took a nap under a nearby tree. At this point Terry Jones took up directing in his stead, which is why they are both credited as directors.



No comments:

Post a Comment