Wednesday, April 25, 2007

In the Land of Women. More like...In The Land of Cliches!



So this evening, under the scrutiny of my cousin and her mother, who feel like I don't spend enough quality time with the family, I was forced into sitting through the movie that is "In The Land of Women". In The Land of Women is the first movie from Writer and Director Jon Kasdan. It stars Adam Brody as the lead, with a female supporting cast including Meg Ryan, Kristen Stewart, and the show-stealing Olympia Dukakis.

Now don't get me wrong, the premise of the movie is a decent enough idea. However, within 30 minutes of it, you can tell the writer/director was heavily influenced by shows like Dawson's Creek (from which he got his acting debut), and he makes it painfully obvious that he intended this movie for the teenage girl and her mom. Seeing as how I am neither a teenage girl, nor a mother, I was able to pick the movie a part like a well smoked pork loin.

Kasdan utilizes several cliche moments in this film, some of which are so painfully obvious you'd think it was a case study on John Hughes movies. The distraught teenage girl flinging paint at an oversized canvas...the precocious 8 year old, who tries to steal the show, but ends up being more annoying than anything else...and worst of all, Meg Ryan...the overbearing control freak mother, who secretly yearns for a bigger and better life, but only gets cancer for her troubles.

I found myself reliving Mystery Science Theatre 3000 time and again, as I mocked the film, much to the delight of my cousin, and even my Aunt. The movie became 100% predictable during the second half, and much to my further dismay, the ending was abrupt and served no purpose whatsoever.

Bottom line, this movie sucked so bad, I'm actually disappointed my first post here on Ultra Blog is about it...

That's it for me, until next time:

-deVo

No comments:

Post a Comment