Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Halloween Countdown: The Evil Dead, Behind The Mask, The Monster Squad

Ah October. The grandest month of them all. It is the start of weather cooling down here, even though were still in the damn triple digits. As well as the start of the major holidays. My 2nd favorite holiday being Halloween.

So here at my work, I watch movies all day while workin, and I figured that every day I am at work this entire month, I will watch only horror. Or something related to it. And share the films/shows that I pop in. For those wanting some good movies to show at your Halloween parties, this may help you out.

Yesterday I dropped the ball, I left my house, driving to work, realizing I had forgot what to bring, but thankfully here at work in my trusty desk drawer I had The Adventures Of Pete And Pete. So I popped in the episode, Halloweenie. That kicked things off. But today, things go into high gear.

The Evil Dead
I am in the middle of watching this right now. I thought it would be appropriate to start off with this movie since this is the one that started it all for me. Before I watched Halloween, or Friday The 13th, or Nightmare On Elm St. I had seen this movie. It is the first horror movie that I can remember ever watching. My brother had sat me down one night as a kid to watch this. And of course, I was hooked. It was the start of the phenomenon known as Bruce Campbell as well, who has now become the King of cult horror. Which is funny because if you think about it, outside of The Evil Dead movies. He really hasn't done anything good. Most of his movies were something that would be a SciFi Channel original movie. But damnit, we all still love the guy. And hope someday we will see Ash return.



Behind The Mask: The Rise Of Leslie Vernon
This was by far my favorite movie of last year. Ever since The Evil Dead, I was sucked in and hooked on horror. And being a huge fan of horror almost my entire life, I was let down lately over the pas few years by the shitfests that had been released. There has been 1, maybe 2 good horror movies coming out every year, with everything else being huge letdowns. It was nice to see a movie that was a breath of fresh air. A movie about a guy like you and me, who wanted to be the next big mass murderer and follow in the footsteps of his heroes, Michael, Freddy, and Jason. See in the world that Behind The Mask is set in, Jason Michael and Freddy are real. And Leslie wants his name up there with those guys. So he hires a film crew to document this and show his arrival to the world, and his training. Such as how hard he has to train to make it look like he's just walking when everyone else is running their asses off.



The Monster Squad
If you are over the age of 20, and have never watched The Monster Squad, and do not know of its awesomeness, then I have no use for you in this world. And you will forever be known as, a homo. The Monster Squad is the Goonies of horror movies. A tale of a group of kids, thrown into hell when Frankenstein, Wolf Man, Dracula, The Mummy, and The Creature all arrive in their small little town. This movie was made in the 80s, back when America wasn't such a giant baby and everyone wasn't bitching and crying over every little thing. This was back when movies had kids that talked like real kids. I don't even know how many times kids call each other faggots in The Monster Squad. Now days if a kid said faggot in the movie, R rating, protests, and all hell breaking loose with parents. God todays world is lame. If you want to cure your homo problems, then I suppose I can let you off the hook if you go out and rent/buy this movie immediately. If not, well then go away, don't like you anymore.



The Monster Squad Fun Fact: Uncle Rico from Napoleon Dynamite plays the Wolf Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment