Thursday, June 7, 2007

Thundercats are on the loose!

When I was a kid, there was 4 big things for me.... Thundercats, He-Man, Transformers, and Voltron. With the upcoming Transformers looking like its going to be a huge hit, studios all over are snatching up the rights to old school cartoons to turn them into feature length movies. Same thing happened with Spiderman, when it was coming out it was huge and suddenly we have comic book movies everywhere. Well last week it was announced that He-Man is going to be produced by Joel Silver, and I couldn't be happier. I had me some Transformers and He-Man coming to the big screen! On the same day that He-Man was announced, so was Voltron. Both to be made by Warner Brothers. I was in heaven, and I called everyone I knew and said the words, "Oh man now if only they make a Thundercats movie the circle will be complete!" That day has come.
Warner Brothers again, has optioned a script by screenwriter Paul Sopocy to turn Thundercats into a CGI-Animated Feature Film. Warner-based Paula Weinstein will produce through her Spring Creek Productions, along with Dick Robertson and Lew Korman. Sopocy has written the script as an origin story expanding on the major heroes and villains from the animated series, with the plot focusing on Lion-O coming of age as the leader of the Thundercats.

Now it would be way cooler if this was a live action movie. The fact that it is going to be a CGI Feature is going to make everyone piss and moan about it probably. But to me its awesome, because I would rather have a CGI Animated Feature film about the Thundercats, than nothing at all. Much like TMNT earlier this year. Sure it was CGI, but it was better than having nothing at all, and TMNT turned out to be an entertaining movie that I dug alot. So there ya have it folks, Thundercats are on the way with Voltron, He-Man, and Transformers! Now lets hope for some Jem.



1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed that your still on the "Transformers won't suck" kick. You listing Steven Spielberg's credentials was amusing, but we've already had this argument.

    As for Thundercats, I kinda rolled my eyes at the first announcement of this because this is another property that seems tough to translate into a movie. Then I heard it will end up CG and I sighed a breath of relief. While Thundercats itself was pretty pedestrian by today's standards it might work as a CG movie. It wouldn't work as a traditional film because of Hollywood's typical movie requirement to throw human characters and subplot into the mix.

    Oddly enough Jem could be a great traditional movie. There's nothing in Jem that couldn't be done and I could see that movie being a hit with say, Angelina Jolie or something in the title role.

    Then again that Josie and the Pussycats movie didn't pan out that well.

    ReplyDelete