Saturday, May 5, 2007

Random Villains Spiderman 3 Review...

Many that know me, know my love for Spiderman. Ever since I was a little kid, I was a hardcore spidey fan. From the comics, to toys, to cartoons, to the weird Live Action show. I loved it all.

On top of that, I am a HUGE Sam Raimi fan. Many believe Tarantino and Kevin Smith were the directors whose movies I saw that made me want to be a film maker. Which is partly true, Pulp Fiction and Clerks were the movie I saw that made me wanna get serious about film making. But The Evil Dead is the movie I saw when I was a little kid that made me call my friends over and steal my parents VHS video camera and hit the backyard to make weird movies. Sam Raimi + Spiderman = GREATNESS for me.

The first Spiderman movie gave me chills and goosebumps, it was the best movie going experience of my life. Spiderman 2 was even better.

What I really love in the Spiderman world is Venom. So when it was announced the Venom was 100% in Spiderman 3, I was ready. Maybe a little, too, ready.

I hate reading reviews before I see movies, it makes me a lil jaded and tarnishes the movie going experience, but with this being Spiderman, I needed a little taste of what others were seeing, and sadly, it was no good. Most people I read reviews of hated it, a few thought it was GOOD, but not great, and a couple say its the best of the three. As for me? Im on the "it was GOOD, but not great" side.

GRIPES:
Too long, if they shaved a bit off of it, it would have been alot better. More on that in a bit.

CORNYNESS:
I know, Sam Raimi is corny, loves his jokes since he is a huge Stooges fan. And its a comic book movie, so it is bound to be a bit corny. But Spiderman 3 gets a little TOO corny sometimes. Mainly the Peter Parker Jazz dance bit, which is what could have been taken out to make it less corny, even though what happens at the end of that scene is shocking and very important. And the, Peter Parker buying a new suit dancing down the street bit was a lil too much, even though it was pretty damn funny.



GRIPES ON OTHER REVIEWS:
People are reading a little too much into this movie though. Slight spoilers lie ahead....

Almost every review I see bitches about how every character cries in this movie. Well yes they do, but fuck! This is one emotional movie. Every character goes through some serious emotions, you would cry too asshole.

Also, people bitching about Kirsten Dunst singing in the movie, saying its bad and stupid. Well, no shit, its supposed to be bad and stupid, why do you think shes fired for it in the movie and ends up singing at some shitty hole in the wall Jazz bar? It fit into the story.



MORE VENOM:
Come on, the main reason people got jazzed for this, is Venom. Venom in a Spidey movie is like getting Gambit in an X Men movie. Greatness. Venom only pops up and gets into action in the last 20 minutes or so of the movie. I know they have parts 4, 5, and 6 planned, so hopefully we will see Venom in all his glory in those movies.

Closing comments. I really dug this movie, the end fight scene was awesome, what I really love about the Spiderman movies and Sam Raimi in charge is it makes Spiderman suffer, he gets his ass KICKED in these movies but always makes it out. Sam Raimis saying is "you must first taste blood to be a true hero" unlike 90% of action movies out these days where the hero can withstand anything (The Marine) Onto another thing, people bitching about there being too many characters. Good! It kept the movie going strong, not once did this movie slow down at all. It started off great and kept me entertained for the 2 hours and 20 minutes I was in my seat. Something very few movies that are longer than 2 hours can do. So where do I stand? I say it is better than the first movie, mainly for Venom. But falls short of being better than the 2nd Spiderman movie, which to me is the best comic book flick out there. Now dont get me wrong, Spiderman 1 is an awesome flick, all 3 of them are. The ONLY reason Spiderman 3 doesnt score perfectly with me, is because it could have been a tad bit shorter, that is all. Everything else is awesome, Thomas Hayden Church kicks ass as Sandman, Ive been a huge fan of his since Wings, Bryce Howard works as Gwen Stacy for me, and J. Jonah Jameson is awesome as always. Bruce Campbell has his best cameo in this movie. Hopefully Sam Raimi and everyone will be back for part 4. I will be there opening night.

Spiderman: 9 out of 10
Spiderman 2: 10 out of 10
Spiderman 3: 9 1/2 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment