Thursday, May 29, 2008

Headey, I mean, Hedley Lamarr has passed on, R.I.P. Harvey Korman

Another great has passed on. But I never got too much into Sydney Pollacks work. Harvey Korman on the other hand, I was a very very big fan of. I remember being in my early teens, and my Dad coming up to me one day and asking, "do you wanna watch the funniest movie you will ever see in your entire life?" "Of course." I said. And we went into the living room and he popped in the LASER DISC, thats right, we had the giant discs, for Blazing Saddles. And my life was forever changed. And my Dad was not lying, still to this very day, more than 10 years later, I still have yet to see a movie funnier than Blazing Saddles. And even when I see a comedy, and I think it is good, I compare it to Blazing Saddles, it set the benchmark for comedy for me, and my nephew who is also a huge Blazing Saddles fan. Harvey Korman played the films villain, Hedley Lamarr, one of the best comedic villain roles in any movie ever. He was by far, my favorite character in that movie.

He appeared in many more Mel Brooks comedies, like High Anxiety, History Of The World, and Dracula Dead And Loving It. He was also on the Carol Burnett Show, and did voice work for Disney and on The Flintstones. But to me, it will forever be his role in Blazing Saddles that I will never forget.

Harvey had suffered complications related to the rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm he experienced four months ago. And it finally caught up to him and ended his life. Now go and pledge your allegiance to Hedley Lamarr. And Harvey go do, that voodoo, that you do, so well. R.I.P.



No comments:

Post a Comment