Tuesday, January 8, 2008

R.I.P. HD DVD

I am going to be the first one to say this. The HD DVD vs Blu Ray War is officially over.

As of right this very second, HD DVD only has 2 studios that are HD DVD exclusives. While Blu Ray has all the rest. Well, later on today, HD DVD will be stuck with only Universal. As Paramount/Dreamworks will be packing their bags and using a get out clause in its HD DVD exclusivity deal, and go back to Blu-ray. And it will be just a matter of time before Universal follows all the other cool kids as well.

This is sorta sad news, as for some strange reason I have enjoyed this battle. Going to Best Buy and having a hard time deciding on what format to choose, eventually choosing both. Well actually I chose Blu Ray first and then only snagged an HD DVD player because Wal Mart had them on sale for 100 bucks.

So long HD DVD. I will still use my HD DVD player, and watch my old classics that I actually just recently purchased. I am expecting my HD DVDs of Purple Rain, Deliverance and Deer Hunter any day now.

UPDATE: Digital Bits is reporting that Universal is now in talks with the BDA about following Paramount over to Blu Ray as soon as possible. This war is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment