Friday, September 26, 2008

I Miss Steve Martin

There was a time, when Steve Martin put out comedy gold. I just finished reading his autobiography, Born Standing Up. Steve talked about his days when he first started his comedy craft while working at the magic shop inside of Disneyland. And how he got his first break, how he got into movies, and it got me thinking. What happens with comedians? They're like wrestlers. They are huge hits, then they either die off suddenly (John Belushi, John Candy), or they just vanish (Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Rick Moranis), or they go from making great comedies, edgy comedies, to doing nothing but hockey kiddie movies (Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy). Steve Martin has become, from what I can see, kinda unfunny. I always see paparazzi chasing him down and talking to him, and he just ignores them and keeps on his way and the paparazzi get all upset and pissy. But once, just once, I wanna hear a paparazzi, after being ignored by Steve, say to him, "Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!" I think that might bring a smile back on Steve Martins face.

Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Eddie Murphy were among my favorite actors to watch in comedy movies as a kid, and still are to this day. Their movies from back in their prime, are still funnier than most movies put out today. So I figured, since Steve Martin is my favorite, I would compile a list of the top 10, and you could set out to the video store, or netflix, and snag up some of these and relive the good ol days, when comedy movies were funny.

#5. The Man With Two Brains

#4. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

#3. Three Amigos

#2. Planes Trains And Automobiles

#1. The Jerk

And of course, his stand up. He is one of the all time greats, if not, the best. Watch this clip. Not many comedians today fire off things on the spot, and adapt and make a joke out of the strange things that happen to them on stage. He was a master at both.



No comments:

Post a Comment